It has been a while since I have written a single thing in here. But in one of my last posts I mentioned that I was going to find a hobby and quit focus on online dating…. let it happen when it’s going to happen kind of deal.
Well I found a hobby!!
I’ve taken running back up.
I’m training for a 5/8/10k race. I know for sure of a 5k and an 8k that I want to run at the end of September and the beginning of November, respectively.
I have a couple running buddies, and I’m THRILLED about that, because this is hard to do alone. Though tonight, I managed! On my own! I had this voice in my head going “you can’t do this. You just ate. Are you crazy?!” And I told it to shut up…. and I ran (intervals — 90 seconds jogging, 2 mins. walking) 3.06 km in 31 mins. This goal is starting to feel attainable!! I could do a 5k race in about 50 minutes right now, only 2 weeks into training!
Anyway, I needed some motivation, some inspiration, some fuel to keep going… when I want to go “no, my legs hurt!” …. so I googled some running advertising campaign pictures… they always seem to be really well targeted at runners…… lol go figure, eh?
Here are a few.
To start, I found 10 great print advertisement quotes put out by Nike. I’m not a fan of Nike shoes… in fact, I won’t even try them on, I’m pretty brand loyal, but they do tend to get their point across nicely with their slogans.
1. “Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation.”
2. “Who says you can’t run away from your problems?”
3. “Yesterday you said tomorrow.”
4. “Someone who is busier than you is running right now.”
5. “But unless you are a runner, you won’t understand.”
6. “Why do I run? Why do I breathe?”
7. “The only one who can tell you ‘you can’t’ is you. And you don’t have to listen.”
8. “There is no ‘Y’ in running. Believe in the run.”
9. “There is no finish line.”
10. “My sport is your sport’s punishment.”
11. “There are clubs you can’t belong to, neighborhoods you can’t live in, schools you can’t get into, but the roads are always open.”
12. “Runs end. Running doesn’t.”
13. “Just do it.”
14. “Ran sounds better than run.”
15. “Training is the opposite of hoping.”
16. “My better is better than your better.”
17. “Greatness is earned, never awarded.”
18. “100% Pure Running
No balls, pads, bats, gloves.
No nets, hoops, racquets.
No hash marks, or helmets.
No jerseys, skirts, stirrup socks or mouth guards.
No chewing tobacco.
My personal favourite is number 7, probably because I just conquered the ‘I can’t’ monster tonight and actually completed every interval without stopping early!
My favourite is probably the “Find Your Strong” one. I’m biased… it is a Saucony ad, and they’re more and more so the only things I’ll stick my feet into. However, I like it because it’s what I’m doing. I’m ‘finding my strong.’
I’m finding my desire to be an athlete.
And then I found this article that talks all about how runners and joggers are different (it’s a description of advertisements for Pearl Izumi, a running shoe company, targeting themselves at hardcore runners. Evidently, runners jog, but joggers never run). I like to think of myself as more than a jogger. I know I’m not fast yet. And I know I don’t go very long without feeling like death is waiting at the end of the trail for me…. yet. But I want to run. Doing a full-out sprint tonight felt SO good…. I only lasted 30 seconds, cuz man alive, that is some killer cardio, lol… but it felt GREAT!!
So…. that’s about all I have to say! I like running. A lot.