You get to choose one superpower. Pick one of these, and explain your choice:
- the ability to speak and understand any language
- the ability to travel through time
- the ability to make any two people agree with each other
Well, I like this prompt.
Personally, I’d love the power to be able to selectively read peoples’ thoughts… Note the very important use of the word selectively. I do not want to know what everyone’s thinking all the time. No thanks.
I’d also love a self-regeneration skill… as I sit in my rocking chair with a heated up grain bag wrapped around my neck because I pulled a muscle in it and it hurts like crazy! I had a massage this afternoon, and, while I’m pretty sure my massage therapist has fingers made of gold, there’s only so much she can do in 75 minutes, and I’m pretty tender.
Anyway — it’s a tough decision, so I’ve decided to eliminate them in reverse order.
1. I would not like the ability to make any two people agree with each other. I think that conflict resolution skills are incredibly beneficial, because even if I had that power, I wouldn’t be around for everyone all the time, so there would be times when people would need to be able to resolve conflict on their own, and just ‘get along.’
2. This is where it gets tricky. When I was in my early 20s, mid-way through my university education, I set myself a goal to speak 10 languages by the time I was 30. Well, I turn 29 in just over two weeks…. so………. If I can combine my skills in Spanish and Latin into the equivalent of one language, I have 7 languages to learn in about 380 days, and I feel like it isn’t going to happen. I’d LOVE the ability to just know them without the work of learning and memorizing verb endings, accents, intonations, pronunciations, vocabulary, and idioms (yeah, I’m a language geek, you caught me).
3. I think, given the list, I would choose the ability to travel through time at will. Not like… the Time Traveler’s Wife kinda time travel, where I have no control or anything… but… where I can decide “hey, I would REALLY like to have a chat with Abe Lincoln, he seems like a stellar dude!” and bam! there I am interviewing Honest Abe after his delivery of the Gettysburg Address. I could be reading my Bible, and think “I have no idea what the author was getting at, here!” and then I’m talking to Paul, Joseph, Abraham, King David, Jesus, Peter… anyone… and I’m asking THEM what THEY meant… I think that would be the absolute greatest super power ever… full understanding of scripture.
What super power would you choose? Why?
If you could time travel, who would you travel to see?